The Walter Oil & Gas Corp's Coelacanth jacket being upended in the Gulf of Mexico in 2015. photographs - Alan Cattell
Date 17 August 2018
This is just a reminder, if we need one, just how large offshore constructions can be, this is the Coelacanth jacket being launched in October 2015 by Heerema Marine Contractors in the Gulf of Mexico for Walter Oil & Gas Corp.
The jacket was ...
- 400m tall
- weighed 27,215t (60,000,000lbs)
- water depth was 366m (1,200 ft)
- fabrication took 2,000,000 man hours
- at the time it was the 3rd largest fixed conventional platform in the Gulf of Mexico (Bullwinkle is #1)
- the jacket is approximately the same height as the Empire State Building in New York
this photograph and source Walter Oil & Gas Corp